Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sorry, I'm not a tour guide.

Every year, as the tourist season looms, I get a spate of demanding comments left on this blog. By demanding, I mean people making unreasonable and excessive demands for large amounts of information.

To give examples of what I mean, I have had people ask me for extensive lists of local hotels and other holiday accommodation, a list of all the eateries in Swansea and Gower, train, coach and bus timetables, menus from named restaurants, a list of all Gower's churches, and even the names of local boarding kennels and catteries. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, the resources, or quite frankly, the inclination, to comply with such work-intensive requests. Also, as in the past, I won't be publishing any such comments.

Don't get me wrong, I have no objections to helping someone out with some information, especially if it's something specific that they may have difficulty uncovering themselves. I don't mind going the extra mile for something obscure. I'm also happy to point people in the direction of resources or individuals who can help, when I can't. But most of the time, I receive requests for huge volumes of general tourist information, requiring a lot of work on my part, when the requester could easily find out what they need via Google, Yell.com and other websites .

So, over the next couple of weeks, I'll be revamping the links section of this blog, and providing a specific list of tourism-related links. I'll also be adding a note in the sidebar, above this list, emphasising that I cannot assist with tourism-related queries. This is, after all, a personal blog, not a commercial venture or a tourist information site. Am I being unreasonable to refuse such requests? I don't think so. This blog would become a full-time job, for no remuneration, if I answered every query with the volume of information requested. So, please note:

my apologies, but I am NOT a tour guide.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341