Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jake at Rhossili

I only spent an hour or so at Rhossili. If I'd spent any longer there, I would have been walking the one mile hike to my house from the Gower bus route, in semi-darkness. After being mugged last month, I really didn't fancy being out after dark.

I had planned to walk down towards the Old Rectory, as I don't have any close shots of it. But as usual, there were cows roaming all around the path to the Rectory. Cows, generally, are harmless, but they can be a bit strange sometimes, especially where dogs are concerned, so I decided not to risk it. And if I'm honest, I'm more than a touch scared of cows!

I spent some time sitting on the cliffs just behind the Worm's Head Hotel, adjacent to the steep track leading to the beach. I gave Jake some of his duck and rice flavoured dry food, as well as a drink of water. I then had a battle of wills with him, as he's decided that sheep poo is a tasty delicacy, and would eat mountains of it, if I let him. Here he is, giving me a dirty look for stopping his poo-munching in its tracks.


Oh, go on, just a little bit, please, he seems to be saying in this next shot. No!


Moments after I took this shot, a couple of jackdaws landed nearby, and this daft little dog started growling at them, trying to warn them off. What did he think they would do to me? He wagged his tail at a mugger armed with a knife, but gets defensive when a couple of birds approach. I will never, ever understand canine logic - or the lack thereof.


Here he is, standing guard, obviously convinced the jackdaws have been watching Alfred Hitchcock films and getting ideas.


Here's his 'can we go now?' expression. If you enlarge the image, you'll see numerous twigs and bits of straw stuck in his beard.


He insisted on climbing on to my lap on the bus journey home, and fell asleep, resting his head on the crook of my arm. As ever, wherever he went today, Jake managed to charm the socks off everyone. In fact, he always gets such a fuss made of him, I often feel like a celebrity minder.

Check Visit Gower soon, as I'll be uploading a few Jake-free Gower images to that blog.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341