Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Calling all nutty knitters!

Are any of you ladies - or gentlemen - handy with the knitting needles? If so, and you have a few scraps of wool lying around, how do you fancy making woolly hats for newborn babies in the developing world? Believe it or not, a woolly hat could actually save a baby's life. If you want to find out more, visit Save the Children's Knit One, Save One page. All the details are there, including a downloadable knitting pattern for a hat. And no, this post is not for pay! I just saw an article about this in my local paper, and thought it seemed like a good idea. I'm now off to dig deep into my long-abandoned knitting bag, to see what bits and pieces I have.

Please note: if you do participate, whatever you do, please don't knit any plain white hats. I know babies look cute in them and they're very traditional in many cultures. But in some African cultures, white is the colour of death, so for obvious reasons, a mum wouldn't put a white hat on her baby. Get knitting!

3 comments:

Dragonstar said...

That's a great idea Siani. I've a box full of odd bits that are too good to throw away. I'll download and start working.

Lynda said...

Thanks for this link...will start knitting soon ;0)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks, ladies. Much appreciated. I've already got my needles a-clicking.

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341