Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The saga continues


After telling me to ring to rebook a collection, DHL turned up this morning, unarranged, to collect my laptop. I'd just got out of the shower and was wearing only a towel, when the doorbell went. I looked outside and saw a plain blue transit van, no DHL logo or anything, and a guy running from my gate back to the van, before driving off. I assumed it was someone calling at the flat downstairs, and they'd buzzed my bell by mistake, as often happens. Even if I'd known who it was, he departed so quickly after ringing the bell, that I'd have had no chance of catching him, even if I'd been dressed. It was only when I decided to pop out to the shop that I noticed the DHL note through the door. When I called, they said they couldn't come back today, and offered me tomorrow instead. But I have things to do tomorrow, and they can't offer me a time slot - except 9-5. Well, I've already wasted a whole day this week waiting for them, and I'm damned if I'm missing important appointments, which I may not be able to re-arrange for several more weeks. So it'll be Friday now, before they collect my laptop.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck using the most godawful desktop PC ever. It takes about 20-25 minutes and several attempts, to boot up. It takes ages to even think about doing anything. Click on a program icon and it may be five minutes before that program starts. Sometimes, if I'm typing in Word, or in a web form, e.g. the one I'm typing this post in, the stupid, slow-assed old machine can't keep up with my typing speed and it can be at least a minute before I see the text I've just typed. It's not like I'm the world's first bionic typist or anything, the machine's just crap. And I have a perfectly functional laptop just a few feet away, which I can't use, because it's packed up ready to have its stupid cracked hinges repaired. I'm so tempted to find out if there's any way I can repair it myself, as I'm sick of all this silliness about trying to get a courier to collect it.

I really can't bear another two weeks of this stupid computer. I can't even defragment the damn thing, as it refuses to do so. I need to reinstall Windows, as I think it's on too small a partition. But I really can't be bothered. Which is why I bought a new one. Damn you Acer, and damn you DHL.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341