Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Monday, February 16, 2009

Cambridge Who's Who fraud.

I must have 'fleece me' tattooed on my forehead, in ink only visible to criminals. I received a letter this morning, telling me that I had been 'proposed as a biographical candidate to represent West Glamorgan in the 2009/2010 online Cambridge Who's Who Registry among Executives and Professionals'. My first reaction was 'eh? did you get me confused with someone else?' Then I smelled a big, festering, stinky rat.

I googled this so-called registry, and my suspicions proved right. It's a big stinky scam, an attempt to appeal to human vanity, in order to obtain large sums of money from the gullible. If you get one of these letters - bin it. Unless, of course, you're happy to pay $800 - around £560 - just to see your name on a meaningless list.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/272887/cambridge_whos_who_who_is_going_to_pg2.html?cat=7

http://www.openwiki.com/ow.asp?cambridge_whos_who

This scam originated from an address in Uniondale, NY. The British version emanates from the following address:

PO Box 7406
Milton Keynes,
MK8 OWQ

You have been warned!

6 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I got one to represent Essex today... Strange as Romford has not been part of Essex (except postally) since 1967.

I would have been more convinced if it was for Hho's Nobody!

Anonymous said...

My wife got one to represent Essex as well today. Guess they must think we're all idiots around here ;-)

turbozmr2 said...

If anyone else got one, suggest they fill out the enclosed form with bogus information and post it back. It will cost them some money that way :-)

Anonymous said...

Hubby had one of these letters today. I googled and your page was the first one that contained the whole title, I forgot to invert my commas :S.
You have an interesting site here.

Dragonstar said...

Found this on a blog I visit at times. Thought you might be interested.

Unknown said...

Yes, these who's who people are scum.
they almost ripped my mum off for
$1000.

there is a good article that shows how they are complete frauds - http://www.csoonline.com/article/498903/What_s_What_with_the_Who_s_Who_

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341