Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Reflections on ageing

I went into town on Thursday afternoon, and had one of my people-watching sessions. I noticed something that saddened me greatly. So many young people nowadays seem to have an appalling attitude towards the elderly. I just don't get it. We're all going to get old one day, if we're lucky enough to live that long. It seems such a shame that youngsters have this attitude. By being contemptuous of the elderly, and dismissing them as insignificant, they're missing out on a lot.

One of the most interesting conversations I've had lately, was with a 90 year old lady I met on the bus. I assumed she was in her early sixties, and almost fell off my seat when she told me her age. She had the zest for life of a sixteen year old. She knew all about the Internet, rock music and enjoyed a regular game on the X-Box with her great grandson. Heck, I've never had a go on an X-Box. Although she has difficulty getting around, and her eyesight is failing, this lady is determined she will not be a burden to her family. She's been searching for a good retirement home, and is frustrated by the lack of decent online palliative care reviews, here in the UK. I hope she finds somewhere that respects her fantastic spirit, and allows her to maintain her dignity and independence. Sadly, I didn't catch her name, but I enjoyed our chat.

1 comment:

jams o donnell said...

Sometimes the expression "being as old as you feel" isn't a cliche. She sounds like she still has a lust for life. Good on her!

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341