Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

So, I was wrong ...

The laptop suffered a major hardware failure today, as I was reinstalling Windows. When I say suffered a major hardware failure - I mean the effing thing blew up and scared the living daylights out of me. And it stank the place out. Hideous. I think I can well and truly say it's beyond repair. Best thing I can do now is rip out anything that's still good, e.g. hard drive, memory, battery, etc, and sell them on eBay, or sell the whole laptop to a computer repair/refurbishment, for spares. I won't get much for it, but it'll be something.

I've got my eye on either a Toshiba or a Fujitsu-Siemens as a replacement. I've also seen a very nice-looking Acer, but given the trouble I've had, I'd probably be a compete moron to trust another Acer. The first Acer I had conked out after three weeks, and its replacement needed to go back to Acer for repairs when I'd had it only seven months. And at 20 months old, it's totally dead. £500 (about $1000) down the drain. So no more Acer crap for me. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new, non-Acer laptop in 4-5 weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,I guess now you know. Bloody though. Our local Tesco has a line in Acer desktops currently. I'm glad they had IQon when I was looking for Kyrsti's laptop and Stephen's model.

Dragonstar said...

Poor Siani! But at least you are now positive-certain-sure that the laptop is defunct.
Apropos your last post - don't worry, I won't tell anyone of your criminal activity!

Anonymous said...

I would avoid Acers like the plague - I had nothing but trouble from them. I would go for HP or Compaq (the same company now) every time.

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341