Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Saturday, April 05, 2008

PhotoHunt: Glass


I've had problems finding images for this week's . I'm not generally in the habit of photographing glass things, so I've had to interpret the theme rather loosely. So all my images, except the first one, are of scenes shot through glass.

The first image shows a local church. I often take a short cut through this churchyard. One day, I had my camera with me, and decided to try to get some shots of the stained glass windows. However, when I looked closer, I realized the windows were covered with protective bars, to stop vandals smashing them. It's a sad indictment on today's society, that a church has to protect its windows in such a way.


The next image was taken through the window of a writing shed used by famous Swansea poet, Dylan Thomas. The writing shed isn't in Swansea, though. It's in Laugharne, near the Dylan Thomas Boathouse, the poet's former home. If you look closely at the image, on the right hand side, you'll see a flash of copper-coloured hair. That's me, reflected in the glass. Look above my reflection, and you'll see some blonde hair - that's my mother's reflection.


This next shot was taken through a car window, in deepest, darkest Carmarthenshire, in West Wales. This row of very old cottages is in a tiny village called Cwmdu (pronounced Coom Dee).


The next shot was also taken through the car window, on the same journey, as my cousin drove us over the Brecon Beacons.


The last two shots were taken somewhere in the Swansea Valley, between Pontardawe and Swansea. I didn't dare use the flash, as it would have reflected back at me off the glass. I could have also blinded oncoming drivers and caused a crash!


If you enlarge the last pic, you'll see a bird perched high on a lamp post. If I remember correctly, I think it was a bird of prey of some kind.


Anyway, that's my PhotoHunt for this week, a collection which mostly shows things photographed through glass. Have a lovely weekend!

29 comments:

jams o donnell said...

That's a great selection Siani! Have a great weekend

Sarge Charlie said...

I love your photos, thanks for taking me along for the ride

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Lovely collection of photos! We like the photo of the Church although it is sad that the windows need to be protected.

Dragonheart and Merlin

Anonymous said...

I would have done exactly that for this theme - but all my pics taken over the steering wheel were transparencies I no longer have. Yet again, great to see these places - is that St. James ?
Enjoy your weekend.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

It is a great series and a fine idea for glass theme, Siani!

Have a great weekend.

Dragonstar said...

Nice collection of shots, Siani. You had me staring at Dylan's window for ages, trying to identify the various reflections!

Unknown said...

A great collection shots, Very good post.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the church photo!!!

My 'glass' is shared, I sure hope you can find time to drop by for a visit if you haven't already.

Happy Saturday to you, and happy hunting!!!

Anonymous said...

Great shots for this week's theme. Happy hunting!

Mia said...

I particularly love your 2nd photo. It's beautiful!

Have a great weekend!

Daisy said...

I like in the second photo how you can see your ghostly reflections. I see your hand!

Love Bears All Things said...

The windows of the church is beartiful. I love photographing churches. And I was just amazed at the country side in the one photo, all that green. Thanks for sharing.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

The picture of the church looks so quaint, love these type of churches. Very nice shots of the sceneries through the glass window.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I really like your take on it, Siani! Through Glass!!

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I especially like the Brecon Beacons.

mrsnesbitt said...

What a great selection!

Carver said...

Those are all great shots and an interesting take on the theme. I agree it's sad they need bars over the stained glass. I love the shot taken through the window of the writing shed of Dylan Thomas. So cool that you caught your reflection and part of your mothers.

Gattina said...

Very nice pictures ! I love the old cottages !

-tnchick- said...

beautiful photo choices. love that church and the photo driving thru the Brecon Beacons.

jmb said...

Wonderful photos Siani, it is sad to hear of bars over the windows of the church. What have we come to? Have a good weekend.

Liz Hinds said...

I've got a similar photo of Dylan's shed!

Those cottages are great, and I'm trying to work out which church it is ...

Nita said...

Great choice of this week's theme. Mine is up as well. Hope to see you there. Happy hunting!

Misty DawnS said...

Oh my gosh - where do I start to comment on this post?!?!

That church looks awesome! Have you been inside it? Is it as awesome on the inside as it looks on the outside?

The photos with the reflection of you and your mom is neat and it made me smile. (I needed that)

The Brecon Beacon's photo (the one while your cousin was driving) absolutely took my breath away! What a beautiful and peaceful scene!

The last two photos are awesome just as well! I especially love the clouds in the first photo of the last two.

Now - to you, my friend... I give you a huge and sincere THANK YOU. You know why ;-)

Andree said...

Fascinating photos. The Thomas House: I saw the reflections of you and your mother. And Thomas's tossed out papers (I wonder how real those are!). And then I saw that beer bottle! I found a bottle just like that in the woods a few years ago and was so excited that I found an "antique." Suddenly this week, as I was looking at it on the shelf, I realized it was a beer bottle! A big one! Not being a drinker, it took me all this time to figure out. So long, antique!

sammawow said...

Lovely shots and a great take on the theme! Such a pretty church!

Joyce said...

I enjoyed your beautiful photos. What an historic place you live in. The U.S. is so young compared to Wales.

Neva said...

I came looking for ABC Wed (catching up---busy busy week!) and found this post as well.....very nice....

Anonymous said...

I loved the self-portrait shots. I enjoy reflection shots and that's a great idea for the theme. I also enjoyed all the other beautiful shots and the history and language with them.

shiera (bisdakbabbles) said...

The 4th picture is really breathtaking!

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341