Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Monday, February 04, 2008

Manic Monday

I don't know why I'm awake at such an obscenely early hour - it's 5 AM here in the UK. But seeing as I am, I've made a nice coffee, and decided to get to work on my Manic Monday post for this week. Lisa has come up with some really deep and mind-bending posers this week - there are no easy answers to these questions.

Is there anything too serious to joke about? If so, what falls into that category for you?

I think there are many things too serious to joke about. Things like the sexual molestation of children, rape, torture, murder, genocide and the Holocaust, immediately spring to mind. I know there are other issues I would refuse to joke about too - it's just too early in the morning for me to think that straight. I'm not against dark or sick humour per se, but for me, there are certain boundaries we probably shouldn't cross.

Would you rather be a tortured genius or a happy simple-minded person? Why?

Tortured genius, definitely. This world is too fraught with danger these days, for ignorance to be bliss.

A dear friend or family member has a terminal illness and is in agony. He/she wants you to help him/her die. What would you do?

I would contact the Swiss assisted suicide charity, Dignitas, and try to get the person to Switzerland. That way, I could help my friend or relative to die with dignity, in the care of qualified medical personnel, without breaking any UK laws and risking jail. For me, helping someone to die is a moral grey area. I believe terminally ill people should be able to choose whether to let nature take its course, or let doctors end their suffering, but I doubt I could ever administer a fatal dose of anything to anyone. It's the kind of situation where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't - which is why I chose the option above.

Oh well, that's Manic Monday for this week. Have a great week!

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

What a thoughtful post, Siani! Outstanding.

My post is here.

Have a great MM!

Misty DawnS said...

Hey Siani - I just wanted to drop by to inform you that you have a very, very special award waiting for you over at www.mistysmusings.com - I think you'll really like it!

Leslie: said...

One more thing that is too serious to joke about is suicide. I know this because my husband chose that option and it's a terrible burden on those left behind.

Here in Canada, people are quite well taken care of in hospices and the medical profession doesn't let anyone suffer needlessly as much as is possible.

And finally, I'd rather be a happy genius! lol

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341