Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Frustrated as hell

Just spent ages booking train tickets, only to get to the final stage, where I was told "sorry, we don't accept Solo cards". Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh! I don't use credit cards and only have one current account, so that's my only card. So I now have to hoof it to High Street station, in the hope that the cheap FirstMinute saver tickets I was trying to book to Cheltenham, are still available. I HATE High Street, because whenever I've walked along there, it's been like a walk down a dodgy alleyway in Dickensian London, with drug addicts, winos and beggars, not to mention prostitutes plying for trade in broad daylight.

BTW, if anyone fancies a day out in the Cotswolds, try this. Get a £6.50 standard day return between Swansea and Cardiff. Then get two FirstMinute single tickets for the Cardiff to Cheltenham leg of your journey. If you book a week or two in advance, you may get tickets for as little as £3 each way, but they're very rare. Not so rare are the £5 singles - still a good deal. From Cheltenham, there are fairly regular buses to places like Bourton-on-the-Water and Stow-on-the-Wold - it takes 35 minutes to reach Bourton and about 45 to reach Stow. The trick is to look for FirstMinute fares between Cardiff and Cheltenham. The cheap fares don't become available until the 08.45 Cardiff-Cheltenham train, but that will still give you loads of time there, if you return after 6 pm. Anyway, I'm off to town in a minute to try to book some cheap tickets. Plus I need to get away from the annoying, noisy sods who are resurfacing the road behind my house.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341