Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Rhossili (via Gower Explorer) misery

I headed down to Rhossili yesterday. Alas, I was hit on both the outward and homeward journey, by the horrendous travel sickness that has tormented me on my last half dozen or so trips to Gower. This sickness usually strikes about half an hour into the journey, usually as the bus reaches the Reynoldston or Knelston areas. It really is vile. Although I've not actually been sick, the nausea, head pains and cold sweats really are nasty.

I think a lot of the problem is caused by poor ventilation on overheated buses which are being driven far too fast. The Gower Explorer service may have won awards, but I've never been a fan of it, because I find the buses very uncomfortable and claustrophobic. Plus most of the drivers drive like idiots, often use hand-held mobile phones whilst driving, and swing around corners like they're trying to launch the bus into orbit to hook up with the space station. The problem is worsened by a tyrannical hardcore of pensioners, who simply will not allow anyone to open a window, in case a puff of air or a vague whiff of cow poo wafts their way.

Thanks to the Welsh Assembly's free bus pass scheme, Gower's buses are packed with people who simply sit on the buses and ride up and down all day. They treat the buses like their second homes, and it's God help anyone who interferes with their notion of comfort. Well, I'm sick of it, literally. I understand that old people feel the cold more. But I'm sick of old biddies clad in skimpy, floral Crimplene frocks, shrieking 'I'm old, I'm cold' every time I open a sodding window, when they have woolly cardies and heavy coats on the seat next to them. They can don warmer clothes if the cold air is making them uncomfortable. What the hell am I supposed to do? Strip starkers? Spew all over the bus? I'm sorry, but the next time I feel sick on a Gower bus, I'm opening as many bloody windows as I please, and I'm the one who's going to behave like a tyrant if anyone complains. I guess, in the meantime, I'll have to ask my doctor for something for travel sickness. Otherwise, my future travelling will be confined to places within thirty minutes of home. Which means my most exciting day out will be a bus trip to Skewen.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341