Visit Siani's Other Blogs

Visit Gower Strange Days

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Swansea Blitz


No, I'm not talking about the dodgy men's club on Wind Street. I've recently become interested in the history of Swansea during the Second World War. I'm especially fascinated by first hand accounts of the Three Nights Blitz, which took place on the 19th, 20th and 21st of February 1941. I was especially delighted to discover online scans of several pages from an air raid warden's diary -

http://www.tlysau.org.uk/en/pages/9482.

I've been doing a little bit of research, and these are the first-hand accounts I've found of wartime Swansea, so far. I hope you enjoy them.

The Swansea Blitz, Part 1

The Swansea Blitz, Part 2

The Swansea Blitz - Part 3

That Evening Full Moon - February 1941

Some Memories of Schooldays in Swansea during WW2

A starry night in Swansea 1941 Part 1

A starry night in Swansea 1941 Part 2

A Starry Night in Swansea 1941 part 3

Springbourne Ladies Remember (Betty & Moira)

Further to 'Gallantry Again!' (Swansea Docks and the Blitz)

The Blitz on Swansea Docks

Flashy American Ties

Three Nights Blitz - Swansea Town February 1941

Our Playgrounds were Bombed Building Sites

Chopin in Swansea

Attack on Swansea, 1941

Blitz pics

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=80361ebb90d0aa68f7212d099b7ed341